House fire on George Ferguson Way in Abbotsford

Flames and smoke cause heavy damage to home under renovation

  • Aug. 2, 2013 7:00 p.m.
Firefighters at the scene of a house fire on George Ferguson Way on Thursday night.

Firefighters at the scene of a house fire on George Ferguson Way on Thursday night.



Abbotsford Police and Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service were called to a house fire on George Ferguson Way in central Abbotsford on Thursday just before 10 p.m.

When crews arrived, they found the home was full of smoke and the fire was in a back room.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, but smoke, fire and water damage was extensive. The home was under renovation at the time and no one was home.

Assistant Fire Chief Ron Hull said investigators determined the cause to be a candle that was left unattended in one of the rooms.