Trevor Harper Beggs passed away peacefully, surrounded by his loving family, on Tuesday, December 27, 2005, at the age of 85. A caring husband, father and grandpa, he is missed deeply. Born in Tyvan, Saskatchewan, Trevor spent most of his time in Stoughton playing sports. He is in the Stoughton Hall of Fame under the curling category. After graduation he worked at the General Motors plant and then for radio CJRM – both in Regina. In 1941, he enlisted in the RCAF and spent 5 years in the service of his country, both here and abroad. In 1946, Trevor and his parents, Roy and Myrtle, moved west to start a hardware business in Aldergrove. Known as “Marshall Wells – Beggs Hardware”, the store was located on the main street of Aldergrove (Fraser Hwy.) and served the Community for 15 years. While building the store, not only did he meet his future wife Elsie, but also became actively involved in the Community as a volunteer. He was the chairman of the Aldergrove Community Park in its initial stages and helped develop the park with the Agricultural Association which was later donated to the Township of Langley. He was instrumental in obtaining the original lighting for the ball diamond that exists today. Because it was the first lit ball diamond in BC, the great organization and public support, the park hosted a scaled down British Empire Games in 1954, the only locality to do so in Canada before being renamed, the Commonwealth Games. Trevor not only played softball for the BC Championship team, Aldergrove Elks, he also coached girl’s softball, umpired too many games to be remembered and in later years, used his radio voice to announce all the games from the local diamond. Trevor served 10 years on the Langley District School Board, 5 of them as Chairman and watched as the Aldergrove Secondary School was built and ultimately opened in 1957. He was also active in the United Church in the early years, serving as senior boys leader, Sunday School Superintendent, pianist and church steward. He was a member of the original Township Parks & Recreation Commission, serving as chairman for 2 years which saw the Langley Civic Centre open. A co-creator of the “Langley Walk”, he and others worked tirelessly during the event every year in its infancy, to ensure its success and growth. Appointed as the Commissioner of Minor Lacrosse for the Fraser Valley in 1975, he was again, instrumental in getting an outdoor lacrosse box built that used to be situated beside the Secondary School. He was then appointed as President of the Fraser Commission which oversaw all Lacrosse in the Fraser Valley. Trevor was the first recipient of the Eric Flowerdew award in 1974 for Outstanding Volunteer Contribution to the Community. After his hardware store days, he went on to become manager of radio CFVR in Abbotsford for 7 years and then ending his working life as a Financial Consultant. Even in his retirement years, he served as volunteer Seniors Resource Councilor under the Provincial Government, assisting Seniors and advising them of benefits that they are entitled to, annual income tax and just maybe going for a coffee to talk.
Trevor is survived by Elsie, his loving wife of 58 years, daughters, Dianne (Claude) and Myrna (Cameron), son Murray and 2 grandchildren, Jennifer and David.
Respecting his wishes, a private Family Memorial is to be held at the United Church in Aldergrove, followed by the Interment of his ashes at Langley Lawn Cemetery. The family would like to extend their thanks to the staff of MSA Hospital and Worthington Pavilion Extended Care Unit, for the care and compassion shown him and the family during his final weeks. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his name to the Heart & Stroke Foundation of B.C. or the Canadian Diabetes Association.