(Black Press file photo)

Surrey

Woman dies after being hit by vehicle in Lower Mainland

Crash happens hours prior to Surrey’s B.C.’s first Vision Zero Summit, to launch road safety plan

Surrey RCMP say a pedestrian is dead after being hit by a vehicle this morning in Surrey.

It happened around 7:15 a.m., according to police, in the 6800-block of King George Boulevard.

The pedestrian, a woman, was taken to hospital but she has since died. Police say the driver remained on scene and is co-operating with police.

The fatal crash happened just two hours prior to the City of Surrey hosting B.C.’s “first ever” Vision Zero Summit, to launch its new road safety plan. Surrey’s Vision Zero plan “emphasizes that no loss of life in the road transportation network is acceptable,” according to city documents.

READ MORE: Surrey hosts B.C.’s first-ever Vision Zero Summit

READ MORE: ‘Vision Zero’ road safety plan in the works for Surrey

“Anticipating human failings and errors in judgment, the approach prioritizes safety by creating safe roads, slowing speeds, improving vehicle design, educating people, and enforcing the rules of the road to encourage safer road user behaviours,” a city report states.

Surrey’s road safety focus in the plan focuses on five areas: pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclist, intersection locations where most people are killed or seriously inured and aggressive driving behaviours.

Speakers at the Feb. 8 summit, to begin at city hall at 9:15 a.m., include Mayor Doug McCallum, Assistant Deputy Minister and Superintendent of Motor Vehicles Patricia Boyle, as well as Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s Provincial Health Officer.

Surrey RCMP say there were 10 “serious” crashes involving pedestrians in 2018, and two so far in 2019.

Police say this is first time a pedestrian has died in a crash so far this year in Surrey. There were seven pedestrian fatalities in 2018.

Meantime, police say the investigation into Friday’s fatal crash is “in it’s early stages and the cause of the collision is unknown at this time.”

“There will be significant road closures in the area as the investigation continues,” according to a release sent at 8:24 a.m.

Police say King George Boulevard, northbound from 67th Avenue, and southbound from 70th Avenue, will be closed to traffic for some time. Surrey RCMP also say traffic will be closed on on 68th Avenue, westbound from 137th Street and eastbound from 135th Street.

The Surrey RCMP Criminal Collision Investigation Team has taken conduct of the investigation.

Anyone with information, who witnessed the collision or has dash cam footage is asked to contact Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502. Or, to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or solvecrime.ca.

READ ALSO: Surrey RCMP seeking witnesses to pedestrian crash(Jan. 2, 2019)

READ ALSO: Surrey RCMP appeal for witnesses after 40-year-old pedestrian hurt in crash (Feb. 5, 2019)



amy.reid@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram and follow Amy on Twitter

Just Posted

Loud jets are annoying Sumas residents, town’s mayor says

Flights out of Abbotsford airport turn over border town and annoy residents, Sumas mayor says

Fraser Valley Bandits hosting Player ID Camp

Camp occurs on Saturday at the University of the Fraser Valley

Farmland-for-industry plan not dead, Abbotsford mayor says

Council won’t ask ALC to reconsider their latest rejection of exclusion request

VIDEO: Fraser Valley Cardinals split home opener games

Junior varsity team battles Coquitlam, Victoria over the weekend

Gas prices in Metro Vancouver hit 172.9 cents a litre

And one analyst expects it to only go higher this week

Homeless activists outside Notre Dame demand ‘a roof too’

Wealthy people have donated millions to effort to rebuild cathedral after devastating fire

Anti-SOGI activist slams ban on B.C. dad speaking out about transgender son’s case

A judge has told the father to stop publicly objecting to his son’s gender

PHOTOS: Green Party Leader Elizabeth May says ‘I do’ on Earth Day

May and John Kidder got married Monday morning in Victoria

Victims injured in Lower Mainland deck collapse ranged from 15 to 83 years old

Victim Services staff have reached out to those hurt and their families

‘Ghost restaurants’ cooked up by Joseph Richard Group to meet demand of delivered food

The new Meal Ticket Brands venture aims to ‘disrupt’ the local restaurant industry

Sri Lanka invokes war-time military powers after nearly 300 killed in Easter bombings

Sri Lanka’s minister of tourism says 39 foreign tourists were killed in the Easter Sunday attacks

Torched SUV linked to Vancouver’s fourth homicide

Manoj Kumar, 30, was found dead from gunshot wounds in the Kitsilano neighbourhood

Multiple sailing waits as BC Ferries deals with Easter Monday traffic

89 extra sailings had been added to the long weekend schedule

Ex-mayor of northern village claims its drivers are overpaying ICBC $1,800 a year

Darcy Repen says data shows Telkwa households are being ripped off for car insurance

Most Read