Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service attended a fire at a workshop and barn on Sumas Prairie around 11:30 this morning, in the McDermott Road and South Parallel Road area, where some livestock have perished.
According to Asst. Chief Dave Rivett, the animals were roosters.
He said the inside of the building was “heavily involved” and firefighters were able to quell the blaze quickly.
Rivett said this fire was difficult to fight as “there were a lot of vehicles inside and there was a fairly strong wind blowing.”
He said one section of the workshop sustained extensive damage and there was some damage to vehicles that were stored inside. The total damage to the structure and contents is in excess of $150,000.
Multiple fire trucks and police attended the scene as well as BC Hydro and BC Ambulance.
A news release from fire services states that investigators have determined that the fire was an accident. A rodenticide had been applied to a rat burrow on the outside of the of the workshop. The product inadvertently ignited the straw and grass in the burrow and the fire spread to the structure.
Roosters perished in a barn fire on McDermott Road.