Three people were sent to hospital on Boxing Day after they were found unresponsive in a vehicle that crashed in Abbotsford. They were believed to be suffering from carbon-monoxide poisoning. (Kevin MacDonald photo)

Mom and kid in carbon-monoxide poisoning incident released from hospital

Other child still in hospital after trio found unresponsive in car in Abbotsford on Boxing Day

A woman and one of her two children who were rushed to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning on Boxing Day in Abbotsford have now been released from hospital.

The other child, age 3, remains in hospital but is expected to be released early next week. The prognosis for all three is “positive,” said Sgt. Judy Bird of the Abbotsford Police Department.

The trio were found unresponsive in a Toyota Corolla that appeared to have crashed in the 33700 block of Clayburn Road – just west of the Abbotsford-Mission Highway – on the evening of Dec. 26. First responders were called to the scene at about 8:20 p.m.

RELATED: One woman, two children rushed to hospital after Abbotsford car crash

Abbotsford Police Sgt. Judy Bird said police have now determined that the vehicle came to rest against a guard rail after the mom pulled over to the side of the road.

The woman, in her mid-20s, and her two kids – ages 3 and 5 – were overcome by carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and were discovered by two passersby, Bird said.

Assistant Fire Chief Craig Bird of Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service said CO poisoning is most often caused by a vehicle left running in an enclosed area. But it can also be the result of exhaust fumes leaking into the passenger compartment of a vehicle.

Judy Bird said an inspection of the vehicle in this incident will have to be conducted to find the source of the leak.

CO poisoning can cause flu-like symptoms that include headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. Prolonged exposure can lead to death.

“If you suspect your vehicle has an exhaust leak, please take it to a certified mechanic for inspection and repair,” Craig Bird said.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

PHOTOS: Spectacular ice formations on Sumas Mountain in Abbotsford

Ice falls photographed during Fraser Valley deep freeze

VIDEO: Abbotsford fire crews battle house fire

Home on Osprey Drive’s roof catches ablaze on Saturday night

Abbotsford band Paravel to release another single

Alternative pop-rock band launches ‘Talk’ on Jan. 24

Former Chilliwack mayor and MLA speaks at UFV

John Jansen makes presentation at Abbotsford campus on Tuesday, Jan. 21

Doxa Band performs at free worship event in Abbotsford

Program takes place Sunday, Jan. 26 at Central Heights Church

VIDEO: Car reportedly dropped off and burned in Langley residential neighbourhood

Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) was on scene Monday morning at 73B Avenue

Alberta bulldog breeder ordered to give refund to B.C. buyer due to puppy’s behaviour

Tribunal ruled a verbal agreement to send a new dog superseded the written contract

Man dies in backcountry near Nelson’s Whitewater Ski Resort

The victim was found unresponsive in a tree well Friday

VIDEO: Vancouver Giants burned by Kamloops Blazers

Home ice loss sees Kamloops extend winning streak to eight

Cariboo Memorial Hospital back to normal after cold weather wreaks havoc

Burst pipes and water leaks cause three different incidents

Dog reunited with Tofino owner, months after being taken from beach

Shannon Boothman ‘ecstatic’ at pet’s return after a tip leads to social media search

Site of planned Jumbo Valley ski resort to be protected, managed by First Nations

Development rights permanently retired for site of proposed year-round ski resort west of Invermere

Most Read