Skip to content

Two men taken to hospital after fight on Keeping Road in Abbotsford

One of the men suffers serious injuries in incident on Thursday night
Photo by Dale Klippenstein

A heavy police presence, including a police helicopter, caused concerns Thursday night (March 4) for residents in the area of Keeping Road on Sumas Mountain in Abbotsford.

Neighbours posting on social media reported that they heard “tons” of sirens, saw numerous police and first-responder vehicles on site, heard and saw a helicopter, and saw police still on site Friday morning.

This led to speculation that a body had been found or that someone had been hit by a vehicle.

But Abbotsford Police Sgt. Judy Bird put the rumours to rest on Friday afternoon, saying the matter was related to an assault that involved serious, but not life-threatening, injuries.

She said police were called to the 37000 block of Keeping Road just after 7 p.m. Thursday for reports of a disturbance.

Bird said officers located two men who were injured in a fight, and both were taken to hospital. She said one of the men has since been released, while the other remains in hospital.

“Though investigators are in the preliminary stages of this investigation and the reason for the dispute is unknown, investigators believe there is no risk to the public,” she said.

Bird asked that anyone with information call the Abbotsford Police Department at 604-859-5225.

That area of Keeping Road was in the news a year ago, when the body of 36-year-old Michael Ray Day was found at the side of the road on Feb. 15. Police soon confirmed that his death was a homicide. Nobody has yet been charged with the killing.

RELATED: Homicide team investigating after body found in Abbotsford

RELATED: Man, 36, identified as victim of Abbotsford’s first homicide of 2020

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Keeping Road in Abbotsford

Vikki Hopes

About the Author: Vikki Hopes

I have been a journalist for almost 40 years, and have been at the Abbotsford News since 1991.
Read more