Trio come to the rescue

Three men helped put out a fire and evacuate residents of an Abbotsford home.

Matthew Lustig, 20, was in the backyard of his home on Friday night when he saw smoke coming from the house behind.

He raced into the residence – located at 32684 Avalon Cres. – and was quickly joined by brother Shaun Dennill, 25, who heard yelling.

A third man, whose identity is not known, appeared with a fire extinguisher. He put out the blaze on the stove, while Lustig and Dennill made sure the six residents got out safely.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service arrived on the scene shortly afterwards, at about 11 p.m. Firefighters discovered that a pot of oil had overheated on the stove and caught fire, causing about $10,000 in damages.

Lustig and Dennill were treated in hospital for smoke inhalation and released.

Six fire trucks and 19 firefighters responded to the incident.