Sexual assault trial underway

Gilles Robert Leger of Abbotsford is charged with sexual assault and sexual interference of a child under 16

  • Dec. 20, 2014 7:00 p.m.

A sexual assault trial for Gilles Robert Leger began this week in Chilliwack and is scheduled to continue in January.

by Paul Henderson, Black Press

The victim of an alleged sexual assault that happened on a Chilliwack camping trip three years ago faced hard questions from the lawyer for the Abbotsford man accused of the attack in BC Supreme Court on Monday.

Gilles Robert Leger’s trial for sexual assault and sexual interference of a child under 16 began Monday and continued until Wednesday.

Leger, 46, is accused of the assault on a 15-year-old girl while camping at Gill Bar on the Fraser River in Chilliwack on Oct. 1, 2011.

A video of the victim’s statement to police on Oct. 2, 2011 was played in court, and the now 18-year-old was on the stand as a Crown witness.

She cannot be named due to a publication ban, and some details of the trial that could identify her cannot be published.

The alleged incident happened at an unofficial but popular camping area at the gravel bar. Leger offered to take the victim on a ride on his side-by-side ATV, the young woman testified.

Leger, the girl and some of her friends had been drinking alcohol the older man had purchased.

The young woman said in BC Supreme Court in Chilliwack that Leger took her for a ride about 10 minutes away from the campsite, and then forced himself upon her at the back of the ATV.

“I kept telling him ‘No,’” she said on the stand. “I kept saying ‘no’ . . . think of your wife.’”

There were a number of details of the alleged assault the girl could not remember, either in court this week or when talking to police a day after the alleged assault in 2011. She said she didn’t remember how the incident started once the ATV stopped, or how the attack concluded, but she did remember details before, during and later.

Leger’s lawyer Vincent Michaels questioned the young woman’s ability to remember details.

He also questioned claims the girl made about memories “popping” into her mind weeks after the alleged attack. The court heard that she had entered one such detail into the notes function on a Blackberry, something she said she later deleted.

When asked to produce the phone so that an expert could find the note, she refused.

“Because it didn’t happen,” Michaels suggested.

“Yes, it did,” she responded.

“I’m suggesting that you were caught in a lie and you knew it,” Michaels said. “Agree or disagree?”

“Disagree,” she said.

The girl’s friend was on the stand Tuesday morning, and police officers and a witness from the campsite testified Wednesday. The trial is scheduled to continue Jan. 5.

Just Posted

Mouat’s Benning signs with UFV wrestling

Benning one of 10 new recruits inked for the fall

Donation of more than $20,000 supports Shine On Legacy Fund

Fund created in memory of Abbotsford Police Const. John Davidson

Moms of those killed by illicit opioids take to B.C. Legislature in call for action

Moms Stop the Harm, a nationwide network of families who have lost loved ones to overdoses rally

PHOTOS: Black bear gets curious on Lower Mainland driveway

Joe Wu captured photos of the animal wandering in Surrey

83-year-old inmate dies at Mission Institution

Correctional Services Canada says Ralph Whitfield Morris died in custody

VIDEO: Canadian toddler caught practising hockey skills in crib

Eli Graveline is getting praise from far and wide as the internet freaks out of cute throwback video

B.C. teacher ends Jeopardy! winning streak, taking home US$69,000

Ali Hasan, from New Westminster, has been gaining fans as a “one-man invasion,” says Alex Trebek

1 man in critical condition after ‘serious’ stabbing in Downtown Eastside: police

Vancouver police say there was an altercation and stabbing appears targeted

Jett Woo highlights 5 Canucks choices on Day 2 of NHL entry draft

WHL star out of Moose Jaw tabbed in Round 2

In a matter of hours, women in Saudi Arabia will be allowed to drive

Change was announced as a royal decree in 2017 by Crown Prince Mohammen bin Salman

Seal pup rescued near White Rock pier

Animal was moving and “barking” when rescue crews arrived

Feds announce measures to protect endangered whale species

Canada’s Whale Initiative is part of the federal government’s $1.5 billion Ocean Protection Plan

COC session vote approves Calgary as potential host for 2026 Olympics

Scott Hutcheson, chair of Calgary’s Olympic bid corporation — called vote a positive step forward

B.C. man wins job he was denied after saying he had depression

Transport Canada has been order to give Chris Hughes a high-level job and nearly $500,000

Most Read