While most of us are enjoying being with family and friends at this time of year, the less scrupulous are looking for opportunities to steal.
Mission RCMP and the Crime Prevention office offer the following tips:
1. Don’t leave valuables or gifts where they can be seen from the outside. Place your gifts throughout the house so in the event you have an unfortunate incident, such as a break and enter, you will not loose all your parcels.
2. Take an inventory of all your valuables in your home, garage and/or shed. Document serial numbers, engrave your BC Drivers License on larger items, take photos or videos and keep the information in a safe place.
3. After Christmas do not advertise your new stereo, TV or DVD by leaving the empty boxes at the curb. Put discarded gift boxes in trash bags, turn them inside out or take them directly to the recycling depot.
4. It is not uncommon for people to try and take advantage of your generosity during the holidays by going door-to-door asking for charitable donations. Ask for identification, and find out how the funds will be used. If you are not satisfied, then do not donate. Help a charity or organization you know instead.
Parking lots, especially shopping malls, can be target-rich environments for thieves. Thieves are looking for easy targets and anything you can do to deter them from choosing your car, the better.
1. Don’t leave valuables unattended in your vehicle.
2. Never leave your purse, wallet, cell phones, garage door openers, or personal information in your vehicle.
3. Remember to lock your car and use an anti theft device.
On the road
1. Use your road sense by preparing for winter driving conditions.
2. Have the appropriate winter tires installed on your vehicle and be prepared for emergencies by carrying cold weather emergency supplies.
3. Buckle up and be a patient and courteous driver this busy holiday season.
4. Always plan ahead and arrange for a designated driver when attending social events. Please don’t drink and drive. Call Operation Red Nose at 604-864- 4814 to get you and your car home safely in Mission and Abbotsford.