Jarrod Bacon released to halfway house after serving prison sentence

Former Red Scorpion gangster from Abbotsford says he fears for his life

Jarrod Bacon at a 2009 court appearance in Surrey.

Convicted gangster Jarrod Bacon expressed concerns earlier this year that being placed in a halfway house could put his life at risk.

But the Parole Board of Canada says the former Abbotsford man poses a “undue risk to society” and he requires the “intensive supervision” that such a residency requirement will meet.

Bacon, 33, left a Quebec prison last month on statutory release after being convicted in 2012 on a charge of conspiracy to traffic cocaine.

By law, most offenders (except those serving a life or indeterminate sentence) must be released from prison after serving two-thirds of their sentence, if parole has not already been granted.

The parole board determined that Bacon should be placed in a halfway house – the documents don’t indicate where – for the remainder of his sentence, rather than be monitored only by electronic surveillance, as he had requested.

Bacon said living in a halfway house would make it easy for former opponents to find and kill him.

“You are not the first one with that type of criminal background called to face the issue,” the parole board stated in its decision from mid-January. “It is obviously a stressful situation; however, this is the direct result of choices you made in your life and you are the only one responsible for it.”

In making its decision, the board detailed Bacon’s history, including his involvement with the Red Scorpions gang; his past use of drugs such as cocaine, pot, OxyContin and steroids; and his “potential for violence,” such as a 2012 altercation with another inmate which left his opponent hospitalized with “significant facial injuries.”

The board also states in the documents that Bacon maintained connections with other gangsters while in prison and kept himself in a “position of influence.”

The documents also say that, on the plus side, Bacon mostly maintained a “compliant behaviour” while in prison and had a “positive and constructive attitude” while taking correctional programs.

He participated in French courses, completed first aid training, and plans to take vocational training and search for work in the coming months.

His parents wish to support him “emotionally and financially,” the parole board documents state.

But the board said despite Bacon’s assertions that he is planning to change his lifestyle, his “potential for violence is obvious.”

Among the conditions placed on Bacon’s release are that he refrain from consuming non-prescription drugs, that he not enter establishments where alcohol can be purchased, and that he have his finances monitored to ensure he is not making “rapid and easy” money from criminal ventures.

Bacon was originally sentenced to 12 years, but that was increased to 14 years on appeal by the Crown.

His statutory release date came up so soon due to his receiving double credit for time already served prior to sentencing.

At the time of his 2009 arrest, he was living in Abbotsford and was part of the notorious Bacon brothers, who were running the Red Scorpions gang.

Jonathan Bacon was killed in a targeted shooting in Kelowna in August 2011, and brother Jamie is currently in prison awaiting trial in the Surrey Six murders.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

‘Tiny home’ being built for Abbotsford woman with severe allergies

Online campaign raises $59,000 for custom cargo trailer for Katie Hobson

Face masks will be mandatory for customers at all Walmart locations

Requirement goes into effect on Wednesday, Aug. 12 across Canada

New treatment centre for addicted youth opening in Chilliwack

Facility ready to support up to 20 youth with substance-use challenges

Building at Mission summer camp destroyed in fire, RCMP say arson suspected

Khalsa Centre summer camp was closed due to COVID-19, 17 staff were present on site

VIDEO: Late-night Highway 11 crash in Abbotsford sends 2 to hospital

SUV crashes through concrete dividers on Aug. 5, 1 person airlifted out

B.C. would not send students back to school if there was ‘overwhelming risk’: Horgan

Plan has left many parents across the province worried about their children’s safety

Canucks blank Wild 3-0, take series lead in penalty-filled NHL qualifying clash

Jacob Markstrom stops 27 shots to lead Vancouver past Minnesota

North Okanagan man chains himself to tree in protest of construction

Crews began work clearing space for a new facility Thursday, Aug. 6

VIDEO: A B.C business used robots to bring down concrete walls

Walco Industries is the only firm on Vancouver Island to use specialized robots for hydro-demolition

As CERB winds down, labour group asks Liberals to rethink EI

The government estimates four million people will be moved onto EI after CERB ends

2016 kidnapping, extortion by Hells Angels member related to Hope cannabis grow ops

Various Hope area grow ops connected to distribution network in Edmonton, court documents detail

Masks to be mandatory on BC Transit, TransLink starting Aug. 24

Both BC Transit and TransLink made the announcement in separate press releases on Thursday

Penticton homes evacuated due to wildfire northwest of city

Emergency vehicles are at the scene near Sage Mesa, evacuation centre set up in Penticton

Most Read