Jarrod Bacon is show here in a 2009 court appearance in Surrey. (Black Press file photo)

Jarrod Bacon has ‘ongoing influence in the gang environment,’ says parole board

National board has concerns about gangster’s statutory release from prison

The national parole board has expressed concerns about Jarrod Bacon’s mandatory release from prison this summer, saying he has had an “ongoing influence in the gang environment,” including maintaining ties with inmates known to be linked to the Hells Angels.

Bacon’s statutory release – meaning by law he must be released after serving two-thirds of his sentence – came up on June 14, but parole documents about the conditions he must follow were not released until today (Thursday).

Bacon, 35, was sentenced in 2012 for conspiracy to traffic cocaine in Abbotsford. He received a 12-year jail term, but that was increased to 14 years on appeal by the Crown.

READ MORE: Jarrod Bacon’s drug-conspiracy sentence jumps to 14 years

READ MORE: Gangster Jarrod Bacon mistakenly released from prison 16 months too early

He was mistakenly released from prison in February 2017, due to an error in his files that did not account for the two-year increase in his sentence, and was sent back.

The most recent parole board documents detail scathing criticism of Bacon’s conduct before and during his jail term. (The papers do not indicate at which prison Bacon was most recently serving, but he was previously in a Quebec jail.)

This includes his alleged involvement in a tobacco-trafficking ring while in jail and a series of violent assaults in early 2018 that, with the help of an accomplice, were aimed at three different inmates, the documents state.

Bacon was placed in segregation following those assaults and was transferred to a maximum-security prison in March. He refused to explain his behaviour to his case management team (CMT), the documents say.

“Due to a lack of information, your CMT cannot preclude the possibility that you might commit new violent repeat offences since you have openly displayed your intention to settle the score,” the parole board told Bacon.

The board stated that information about Bacon’s associates indicates he kept himself in a “position of influence” and was considered to be a “potentially important ally for various criminal groups in the community.”

The board also said that information in his “preventive security” file suggested that Bacon had ties to inmates affiliated with the Hells Angels.

The board also detailed Bacon’s behaviour during the period when he was mistakenly let out of prison on statutory release and breached conditions of his release.

At that time, police officers found him in a strip club know to be frequented by gangsters and he was accompanied by a person with criminal ties. Bacon was heavily intoxicated at the time.

READ MORE: Jarrod Bacon back in prison after being at strip club with known criminal

The documents state that Bacon’s CMT said he was still displaying the same behaviours at the end of his sentence as he was at the start, and he co-operated little with his team.

“You remain a person of interest to security intelligence officers and are considered a high public safety risk,” the documents state.

“The board can only conclude that you have ingrained criminal values which are persistent and aggravating. You are described by your caseworkers as an individual dedicated to a lifestyle focused on crime.”

The board determined that Bacon must reside in a halfway house for six months after his release, and they imposed conditions that include he: not consume alcohol or go to a drinking establishment, provide regular documented financial information to his parole supervisor, and not associate with anyone believed to be involved in criminal activity or the “drug subculture.”

Bacon’s statutory release date came up so soon due to his receiving double credit for time already served prior to his 2012 sentencing.

At the time of his 2009 arrest, Bacon was living in Abbotsford and was part of the notorious Bacon brothers, who were running the Red Scorpions gang.

Jonathan Bacon was killed in a targeted shooting in Kelowna in August 2011, and brother Jamie is currently in prison awaiting trial on counselling to commit murder.

READ MORE: B.C. gangster Jamie Bacon’s trial delayed yet again till January 2019

READ MORE: Jonathan Bacon dead after mass shooting in Kelowna

Just Posted

Abbotsford police cruiser t-bones civilian vehicle en route to emergency call

South Fraser Way and Gladwin blocked off as police conduct investigation

Trail-cam thief unaware of being on camera

Anyone recognizing the thief urged to contact Abbotsford Police Department

Sumas Mountain vs. Fishtrap; Rd 3 voting opens in best-park bracket

Voting continues in ongoing bracket to determine Abbotsford’s favourite park

Matsqui Trail vs. Bateman/Stoney Crk; Rd 3 voting opens in best-park bracket

Voting continues in ongoing bracket to determine Abbotsford’s favourite park

VIDEO: B.C. Mountie killed by drunk driver honoured by memorial playground

Sarah Beckett Memorial Playground opens with ceremony in Langford

B.C. Lions fall to 1-9 after 13-10 loss to Ticats

Lowly Leos have dropped six straight CFL contests

B.C. man who died after rescuing swimmer was known for helping others

Shaun Nugent described as a dad, a coach, a hero and ‘stand-up guy’ at celebration of life

B.C. RCMP plane chases fleeing helicopter as part of major cross-border drug bust

The helicopter eventually landed at a rural property near Chilliwack

Thousands cycle to conquer cancer

The 11th annual Ride to Conquer Cancer took place Saturday morning, Aug. 24 in Surrey, B.C.

PHOTOS: Brazil military begins operations to fight Amazon fires

Amazon fires have become a global issue, escalating tensions between Brazil and European countries

Racist confrontation in Richmond parking lot caught on camera

Woman can be heard yelling racial slurs, swear words at woman in apparent parking dispute

Groups ready campaign to help young voters identify ‘fake news’ in election

The media literacy campaign to focus on identifying misinformation and suspicious sources online

Big rally in northern B.C. draws attention to continuing lumber crisis

Mayor Joan Atkinson says about 400 workers have been directly affected by the closure of the Canfor mill

Most Read