Fundraisers to help family displaced by New Year’s Eve fire

Single mom and kids lost almost everything in blaze on Hawthorne Avenue

A home on Hawthorne Avenue suffered smoke and fire damage on New Year's Eve.

A home on Hawthorne Avenue suffered smoke and fire damage on New Year's Eve.

Some fundraisers are taking place in Abbotsford to help a family whose home was damaged in a fire on New Year’s Eve.

The fire took place in the kitchen of a home on Hawthorne Avenue. The residence was shared by mom Monica Davis and her three children – two boys, ages 12 and 17, and a girl, age 20 – as well as three dogs and her daughter’s boyfriend.

Although no one was injured in the blaze, they lost most of their possessions.

Friend Karie Lanji said the family did not have insurance, and the home, which they owned, is uninhabitable due to fire, smoke and water damage.

“They were able to save some clothing and pet supplies. However, everything else is gone,” she said.

Lanji said the family was initially in need of an affordable place to rent, but staff at city hall were able to find them a new residence, and they moved in early this week.

A burger and brew night to raise money for the family takes place Saturday, Jan. 23 at Sneakers Sports Lounge, starting at 7 p.m.

Cost is $20, and the event includes door prizes, a toonie toss and live music by REV.

Donations of gift cards are also being collected for items such as food, gas, clothing, toiletries, household items and pet items. Cash donations will go toward furniture, including beds, a living room suite, lamps, tables, dressers and chairs.

For tickets to the burger and brew night, or to make arrangements for a donation, calling Annette at 604-309-2023 or Karie at 604-817-6442.

Yale Secondary’s Grade 10 leadership students are also helping out the family by hosting a toonie drive all this week (Jan. 18 to 22).