Fire crews survey the damage following a mattress fire on Cottage Lane. (Ben Lypka)

Fire crews survey the damage following a mattress fire on Cottage Lane. (Ben Lypka)

UPDATE: Burning mattress flung from Abbotsford apartment unit

Firefighters quell blaze after crews called to Cottage Lane just after 11 a.m.

A burning mattress on the second floor balcony of a central Abbotsford apartment complex drew Abbotsford Fire Rescue Services into action earlier today (Monday).

AFRS arrived on scene with a burning mattress on the second floor balcony of 33486 Cottage Lane. Crews flipped the burning mattress over and quelled the blaze.

“The resident was using candles and smoking materials and had blown the candle out and left the lighter on the mattress,” said assistant fire chief Craig Leighton. “Apparently part of the lighter was hot enough to ignite the mattress and she came back to find it smouldering.”

The resident moved the burning mattress to the balcony, but was unable to put it out and embers from the blaze dropped onto nearby hedges and the units below causing further fires.

Leighton said his crew did a fast and efficient job stopping the fire.

“Our crews did a phenomenal job both limiting the fire extension, containing it and controlling the smoke,” he said. “It could have been a lot worse.”