A suite in an Abbotsford apartment building was damaged on Tuesday afternoon by a fire that began on the balcony.
Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called at about 2:15 p.m. to the fully involved blaze in a third-floor suite at Parkview Estates, located at 2821 Tims St.
Assistant Chief Ron Hull said the fire was fueled by a propane tank, but the exact circumstances are still being determined.
He said crews were able to quickly extinguish the blaze and prevent it from spreading to other units, although some of the neighbouring suites might have suffered some smoke damage.
“Crews did a good job knocking down the fire,” Hull said.
The occupant of the unit was not home at the time, but a cat that was in the suite died at the scene after crews attempted to resuscitate it, using an oxygen mask.