Cigarette butt likely cause of median brush fire

Abbotsford firefighters knocked down a fast-moving grass and brush fire in the centre median of Highway 1, just west of Mount Lehman

  • Sep. 18, 2012 8:00 a.m.



Abbotsford firefighters knocked down a fast-moving grass and brush fire in the centre median of Highway 1, just west of Mount Lehman Road, at approximately 3:45 on Monday.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue assistant chief Ron Hull said the fire was “moving incredibly fast,” due to dry, windy conditions, and said without a quick response from firefighters it would have spread rapidly.

Hull guessed it was caused by a cigarette butt or possibly a spark from a vehicle, and said it is important during dry weather that motorists use their ashtrays, and not put lit cigarette butts out their windows.