Starting today (July 2), Abbotsford residents have the opportunity to help the community of Lytton as they deal with the aftermath of a devastating fire.
Abbotsford and several other Fraser Valley communities are coming together to pool resources and donate as much as they can those struggling after the disaster.
A donation centre has been set up at Tradex in Abbotsford, which is located at 1190 Cornell Street. Donations will be accepted from July 2 to 5, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on each day.
Organizers are looking for:
- Cardboard boxes for transport
- New/unused baby items, such as: bottles, diapers, wipes, etc.
- New/unused bedding, such as: pillows, blankets, sheets, etc.
- Gently used or new clothing items of all sizes
- Gently used or new children’s toys
- New/unused personal hygiene items, such as: sanitizers, soaps, feminine hygiene items, face and body care items, etc.
- Gift certificates to grocery stores, pharmacies, and other essential services
- Personal electronics, such as: cell phones, chargers, batteries, computers, laptops, cameras, etc.
- Non-perishable food items, bottled water, juice boxes
- Camping supplies, such as: tents, sleeping bags, folding chairs, etc.
- Pet supplies, such as: food, leashes, collars, kennels/cages, etc.
If you are donating a large amount of items, organizers ask to package the items in boxes rather than bags if possible. Please ensure all items are in working/operating order. At this time, no large items will be accepted, such as: mattresses, furniture, appliances, etc.
Online monetary donations can be made to: Lytton Relief Fund.
For more information, visit thefraservalley.ca/blog/2021/7/1/lytton-wildfire-relief-efforts.