More than 100 people came out to help celebrate the fifth anniversary of the Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre.
A ceremony, held on Aug 23, included speeches by BC Cancer Agency president, Dr. Max Coppes and Fraser Health’s Vice President of Clinical Operations, Vivian Giglio.
“When the transformation from the old MSA Hospital to today’s Abbotsford Hospital and Cancer Centre was just an idea on paper, and I was asked to come on board … I was so excited about the idea.” said Giglio.
She first got involved with the planning in 2003.
“I can’t believe 10 years have gone by and this facility is here, beautiful as ever. I walk through the doors and I’m still just in awe of this amazing building,” she added.
Following the speeches staff were treated to a barbecue and cake.
Since opening its doors five years ago on August 25, 2008, the Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre has served thousands of people in the community.
About the Abbotsford Cancer Centre:
- 4,300 patients have started radiotherapy treatment during the last five years
- 1,900 patients have began chemotherapy during the last five years
- There are currently 160 employees at the Cancer Centre
- The most common types of cancer treated at the Centre are: breast, prostate/reproductive (genito-urinary), gastro-intestinal, lung, and head and neck
- There have been 198 volunteers at the Abbotsford Centre since it opened; this includes 41 current volunteers and five volunteers who have volunteered at the Centre since 2008
- Annually, 60-65 prostate cancer patients will have permanent radioactive seed implants
- The Abbotsford Centre is a local and provincial resource: 90 per cent of the patients treated at the Abbotsford Centre reside in one of the following communities: Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Langley, Maple Ridge, Mission and Hope.
- The remaining 10 per cent of patients come from other parts of BC such as Vancouver Island, northern BC, the Okanagan, and Kootenay region
About the Abbotsford Regional Hospital:
In the last five years, the Abbotsford Regional Hospital has:
- Had more than 200,000 visits to its ER
- Seen nearly 60,000 inpatients
- Delivered approximately 9,000 babies
- Cared for approximately 47,000 surgical daycare patients
- Seen over 600,000 ambulatory visits