Skip to content

Chilliwack man accused of shooting at RCMP in Victoria Day standoff denied bail

Daniel Hackl is staying in jail, with his next court date scheduled for mid-September

A man who shot at police during an hours-long Victoria Day standoff is staying in jail.

Daniel Hackl appeared in person at the Chilliwack Law Courts for a bail hearing this week. B.C. Provincial Judge Peter Whyte sat through two afternoons of submissions from Crown and defence lawyer Chris Terepocki. In the end, the judge decided that the risk to the public was too great with Hackl released, and a detention order was imposed.

Hackl’s next court date is Sept. 12 to fix a date for future proceedings.

It took 102 days to get this part out of the way. Hackl was uncooperative in his initial court appearances. At his first showing he declined to even give his name to B.C. Provincial Judge Kristen Mundstock. On later dates he refused to come out of his cell at Surrey Pretrial Services Centre. This week he sat silently in the prisoner’s box watching the hearing unfold.

Hackl, 29, faces two very serious charges from a May 22 incident that happened in a house on the corner of Queen Street and Knight Road. He faces one count of attempted murder with a firearm and one of discharging a firearm with intent to wound/disfigure.

Around 2:15 p.m. that day police responded to reports of a distraught man in the house with access to guns. The standoff that followed last until after midnight, and during that time Hackl is accused of allegedly firing shots at RCMP officers. As the incident unfolded, people in more than a dozen neighbouring homes were told to stay inside and stay away from exterior walls. Other people weren’t allowed to return to their homes as the stretch of Knight Road from Chilliwack River Road to the Southern Rail crossing was blocked off by police.

The home that Hackl was in caught fire and burned down that same evening.

Details of the incident were revealed at the bail hearing but cannot be published before a trial or sentencing as they may influence a future judge or jury.

RELATED: 29-year-old Chilliwack man charged after allegedly shooting at police in protracted standoff

RELATED: Chilliwack man accused of shooting at RCMP refuses to co-operate with court

Eric Welsh

About the Author: Eric Welsh

I joined the Chilliwack Progress in 2007, originally hired as a sports reporter.
Read more