Lepp Farm Market in Abbotsford is holding a contest to win a $25 gift certificate.
To enter, find the related post on the Abbotsford News Facebook page and then comment with one ingredient and #BetterWhenShared.
Only one entry is permitted per person, but you can double your entry by sharing the contest with friends.
The contest ends at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 2.
The recipe below is featured on Lepp Farm Market’s website and is a featured page in the Abbotsford News’ My City publication from Jan. 19.
Beef Skillet with Kale
1 lb ground beef
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juice
1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
1/2 cup water
8 ounces orzo
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper
4 cups chopped kale or baby spinach
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add beef and onions to the pan and cook until the beef is browned and the onions have softened.
3. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
4. Add the tomatoes, broth, water, orzo and seasoning.
5. Mix everything together, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the orzo is fully cooked.
6. Stir in the chopped kale/spinach until wilted.
7. Top with the parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Tip: The flavours in this dish become so much more pronounced when it has a chance to sit for a little while. This makes it a great option for make-ahead meals.