Day one is in the books, and the field has been cut in half as eight teams remain in the hunt for the title at the 2018 Boys Tsumura Basketball Invitational at Langley Events Centre.
The 16-team tournament, taking place on two courts at LEC, saw all four of the top-ranked Quad-A schools advance to the quarter-final round, as did the number one team in the Triple-A field. They are joined by three others who are ranked in the top 10 in either the Triple-A or Quad-A fields.
The elite eight gets underway on Friday morning with Terry Fox (Quad-A No. 2) vs. Byrne Creek (Triple-A No. 4) and Kelowna (Quad-A No. 9) vs. Holy Cross (Quad-A No. 3). Those games tip off simultaneously at 8:45 a.m.
The other two quarter-final clashes begin at 10:30 a.m. on Dec. 7.
The first features the defending provincial champions from Burnaby South against Terry Fox, in a battle of the two top-ranked Quad-A teams entering this week, while the other pits North Delta (Triple-A No. 1) vs. Holy Cross (Quad-A No. 3).
The semifinals will also play Friday night at 6 and 7:45 p.m. with the championship tilt slated for Saturday at 8 p.m.
Day 1 scores:
- Terry Fox Ravens 92, W.J. Mouat Hawks 70
- Holy Cross Crusaders 94, Rick Hansen Hurricanes 80
- Byrne Creek Bulldogs 80, Sir Charles Tupper Tigers 65
- Lord Tweedsmuir Panthers 78, Heritage Woods Kodiaks 60
- Burnaby South Rebels 85, Centennial Centaurs 69
- Kelowna Owls 100, R.A. McMath Wildcats 54
- Oak Bay Bays 91, G.W. Graham Grizzlies 76
- North Delta Huskies 79, Belmont Bulldogs 75