Wood-stove debris is suspected cause of house fire

Discarded debris from a wood stove is believed to be the cause of a house fire Friday morning at 31611 Harris Rd. in Abbotsford.

Discarded debris from a wood stove is believed to be the cause of a house fire Friday morning at 31611 Harris Rd. in Abbotsford.

A neighbour reported the fire just before 10 a.m. Crews arrived to find smoke and fire coming from the rear of the one-storey home.

Deputy fire chief Mike Helmer said the occupant of the house had left just a short time before the blaze began.

Approximately 20 firefighters and eight apparatus from two fire halls fought the fire, bringing it under control in about 10 minutes.

Fire, smoke and water damage is estimated to be $60,000.09:46:14