Laurie Thomson was a customer at the store on the afternoon of April 19, when a malfunctioning appliance overheated and caught fire at the back of the shop.
Thomson quickly grabbed a nearby fire extinguisher and put out the fire.
She had previously been shown how to use the equipment during a training session put on by AFRS’ public education division at her workplace.
Thomson was invited to Fire Hall 1 on George Ferguson Way on Friday, when she received a certificate of recognition from Fire Chief Don Beer and Lt. Ted Main.
Helmer reminded residents that a fire extinguisher when used correctly can control a fire if you remember these steps:
• Call 911 and warn the people around you that there is a fire.
• Ensure the fire is still small and that you keep yourself safe.
• Know how to use the extinguisher, use the PASS (Pull, Aim, Squeeze and Sweep) method.
• Keep a clear exit path in case the fire doesn’t go out.