A fire started by a candle interrupted mass and forced the evacuation of St. Ann's church in Abbotsford Friday morning. No one was hurt

A fire started by a candle interrupted mass and forced the evacuation of St. Ann's church in Abbotsford Friday morning. No one was hurt

(With video) Fire at St. Ann’s Catholic Church in Abbotsford

Morning service was interrupted when candle started fire

  • Jun. 3, 2016 5:00 p.m.

A Friday morning fire around 8:30 a.m. at St. Ann’s Catholic Church at 33333 Mayfair Ave in Abbotsford was apparently started by a candle.

“After we said the consecration of the host, some one at the back near the sacristy said, ‘fire,’  Father Hien Nguyen told The News (The sacristy is a room where a priest prepares for a service and where vestments and other items for service are kept).

The church was quickly evacuated.

Four fire trucks and dozens of firefighters responded, and they were able to quickly contain the blaze.

The initial investigation by the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service suggested the fire was started by an unattended candle.

No serious injuries were reported. The interior of the church suffered some smoke damage.

 

Fire at St. Ann’s Church

A video posted by abbynews (@abbynews) on Jun 3, 2016 at 9:02am PDT