Victim’s dad worried about suspect’s release from jail

The Abbotsford man is worried that more assaults could take place

The dad of a teenage girl grabbed by a man at a bus stop on July 26 is angry and concerned that the accused has been released from prison on bail.

The dad, who cannot be named in order to protect his daughter’s identity, said he believes the man is a threat to the community.

“His next act could go bad or turn violent … There are too many variables for him to be out on the street unsupervised,” the dad said.

His daughter, 18, was waiting at a bus stop in the 2400 block of Montrose Avenue – in front of Abbotsford Community Services – on July 26 at about 2 p.m., when she was approached by a man who wrapped his arms around her from the front and wouldn’t let go.

The man then allegedly moved a short distance away and appeared to be exposing and touching himself.

Police were called, and a suspect matching witness descriptions was arrested in the area.

Amrik Singh Kular, 43, was charged two days later with sexual assault and committing an indecent act. He was released on $1,500 bail under conditions that include not being alone with anyone under the age of 16 and not attending parks and other places where children under 16 are expected to be.

His next court appearance is on Aug. 18 in Abbotsford provincial court.

The dad of the victim said his daughter has been “absolutely freaked” since the incident. She won’t sleep in her room and will no longer walk the four blocks to work.

He is worried there is the potential for more young women to be victimized.

“It’s a dangerous situation.”

Police had also been looking at Kular in connection with a similar incident that took place on July 14, but Const. Ian MacDonald said investigators have not been able to tie him to that offence.

In that case, a girl was working outside in a parking lot in the 31700 block of Peardonville Road when she was grabbed by a man who wrapped his arm around her body.

Police released a composite sketch of the man, but no suspect has yet been arrested.