Abbotsford Fire Rescue crews attending a reported kitchen fire at the Women's Institution Saturday morning.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue crews attending a reported kitchen fire at the Women's Institution Saturday morning.

UPDATED: Fire in kitchen at Women’s Institution causes smoke damage

Abbotsford Fire Rescue attended the Women's Institution at the Matsqui Complex on Saturday morning for a reported kitchen fire.

A fire at the Fraser Valley Institution for Women, located on the same property as Matsqui Institution on King Road in Abbotsford, suffered about $30,000 damage from a fire on Saturday morning.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service crews were called just after 11:35 a.m. for a report of a kitchen fire at the facility.

Crews were escorted through heavy security to a single-story residential until with light smoke coming from the building.

Corrections staff had reported that the flames had been extinguished, but crews discovered there was still a small fire extending into the attic space.

Assistant Fire Chief Ron Hull said the cause of the fire was cooking oil left unattended on a stove.

The unit suffered smoke, fire and water damage.

Hull said the fire could have been much worse if the facility had not been equipped with a sprinkler system.

The incident was attended by 18 firefighters with five fire trucks.

Cooking oil left unattended on a stove has been the cause of a few recent fires, including one on April 14 and one in December.