Update: Candle causes fire at Hindu temple

A fire yesterday (Wednesday) at the Hindu temple in Abbotsford is suspected to be the result of an unattended candle left near combustibles, according to Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS).

Fire crews were called to a blaze at the Hindu temple at 31545 Walmsley Ave. Wednesday at about 10:45 a.m. The fire began at the back of the building.

Fire crews were called to a blaze at the Hindu temple at 31545 Walmsley Ave. Wednesday at about 10:45 a.m. The fire began at the back of the building.

A fire yesterday (Wednesday) at the Hindu temple in Abbotsford is suspected to be the result of an unattended candle left near combustibles, according to Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS).

The fire began at the back of the building, located at 31545 Walmsley Ave., at about 10:45 a.m. The facility is owned by the Fraser Valley Hindu Society and is the only Hindu temple in Abbotsford.

Deputy Fire Chief Mike Helmer said the blaze was reported by staff of the adjacent Lafarge Canada concrete plan.

About 20 firefighters and eight apparatus from two halls fought the fire, which was brought under control in about five minutes, Helmer said. All occupants of the building were safely evacuated.

Fire, smoke and water damage is estimated at $250,000.