Space heater suspected cause of shed fire

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service responded to the blaze on Fern Street at about 9:30 p.m. on Thursday.

Space heater suspected cause of shed fire



A blaze in a workshop attached to a home was extinguished by fire crews before it could spread to the residence.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) crews were called to 33885 Fern St. just after 9:30 p.m. Thursday. When they arrived, the workshop was on fire, as were a nearby car and a large fir tree.

Assistant Fire Chief Dave Rivett said the residents of the home were alerted to the fire when the lights in their house began to flicker. They then checked outside and noticed their shed was on fire.

Rivett said the suspected cause was a space heater in the workshop. Damage is estimated at $100,000.

Six AFRS engines and 24 firefighters attended the fire. No one was injured.