Smoke detectors alert residents to fire on Blue Jay Street

Tenants awakened and escape safely from house in Abbotsford.

  • May. 17, 2012 9:00 a.m.
Smoke detectors alert residents to fire on Blue Jay Street



Residents of a house on Blue Jay Street in Abbotsford escaped unharmed from a fire early Thursday morning after being awakened by smoke detectors.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service responded to the fire at about 5 a.m. When crews arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the top floor and flames could be seen from the back.

Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Adams said the fact the tenants got out safely is an example of why every home should have working smoke detectors.

“This alerted them at the early stages there was something wrong, and they woke up and they got out,” he said.

No further details were available at this time.