Sixty nurses laid off as Menno Hospital contracts out staffing

Nurses’ union protests move with ‘information line’

Nurses protest outside Menno Hospital.

Sixty nurses have been laid off at Menno Hospital, a 151-bed seniors’ care home in central Abbotsford, in an effort to reduce costs for the deficit-ridden facility.

Staffing will be taken over by an outside contractor, and the nurses have been told they can re-apply for jobs at the home. Karen Baillie, CEO of Menno Place, which runs Menno Hospital and five other care facilities, says the new jobs will “definitely be (at) a lower wage.”

Menno Place has run a deficit of $1.62 million since 2011, Baillie said, and this is the latest in a string of cost-cutting measures which have included layoffs of ten executives and many support staff. A staffing contractor has not yet been chosen, but Bailie said an agreement is likely to be signed by the end of the week. The nurses’ employment ends at different times based on seniority, but all will be gone before December.

The decision was announced to staff yesterday morning. Some of the laid-off nurses, along with over 100 other members of the B.C. Nurses’ Union, set up an “information line” in front of the home today, carrying signs criticizing Menno Place.

“It’s horrible. We have families to support, houses, mortgages,” said Doris Rettich, one of the laid-off registered nurses. “We’ll have to apply back and see if they would hire us….Some of us have been working here for over 35 years, so it’s huge because we care for the residents, they’re like our grandmas and grandpas.”

Menno Hospital provides “complex care” to its senior residents, many of whom have serious health issues and require 24-hour nursing support. Eleven full-time employees were laid off, along with 18 part-time and 32 casual. Fifteen are registered nurses, and 45 are licensed practical nurses. Menno Place, one of the region’s largest employers, has over 600 staff at its six facilities, and its funding is provided by Fraser Health.

Katherine Hamilton, the Fraser Valley regional chair for the B.C. Nurses’ Union, said she’s convinced the new contractor jobs will be non-union, with few or no benefits. Baillie said this isn’t confirmed yet, although most contractors in the running don’t have unionized staff.

Menno Place management have also introduced an “attendance management” program, used to track sick days in an effort to reduce employees’ time off, and they have hired a contractor to try and reduce the amount of money lost on WorkSafe claims.

Bailie said contracting out staffing was a tough, but necessary decision to balance Menno Place’s budget. She expects this move will save about $500,000. “We’ve basically done everything we can think of. This was our last choice,” she said. “We hope this change will help make this operation sustainable for a long time.”

Hamilton and the protesting nurses said the decision comes at a cost. “These residents are going to be devastated,” said Hamilton. “We don’t believe in contracting out.”

 

Just Posted

One man dead after hit and run in Abbotsford

77-year-old male dies in hospital after collision on Marshall Road

B.C. egg revenues hit $200 million

Abbotsford farmers produce more than half of the province’s eggs

Abbotsford on shortlist for federal homelessness money

City one of 16 shortlisted for designation as new ‘designated community’

Catholic church buys $7.5M equestrian facility in Abbotsford, plans ‘agri-retreat’ centre

Church hopes to grow crops, host students and others on Bradner property

Come visit the cute little critters at Elizabeth’s Wildlife Center

Abbotsford centre holds annual open house on Aug. 24 and 25

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

Liberals block hearings into scathing ethics report on SNC-Lavalin affair

Dion concluded in his report last week that Trudeau broke the Conflict of Interest Act

Retired Richmond fisherman wins record-breaking $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

‘Unsubstantiated’ bomb threat against CP Rail in Revelstoke

On Aug. 18, a bomb threat was made against CP Rail in Revelstoke

Victoria father charged with double murder of his daughters takes the stand

Andrew Berry pleaded not guilty to the December 2017 deaths

New ‘Matrix’ film set with Keanu Reeves and Lana Wachowski

Fourth installment to feature Reeves as Neo and Carrie-Anne Moss as Trinity

New regulations require training for B.C. addiction recovery homes

Inspections, standards replace ‘wild west,’ Judy Darcy says

Most Read