Mould can be seen throughout the bathroom in this Abbotsford home that has been advertised for rent.

Rental home features mould and ‘rat poo’

Abbotsford man horrified after viewing house for rent

An Abbotsford man who looked at a rental home this weekend was so horrified by the mould and run-down conditions he witnessed that he is sharing photos of the residence as a warning to others.

Jason Jones and his wife found an ad on Craigslist for the four-bedroom home in west Abbotsford.

The couple and their two kids are in need of a new place because the rent in their current home is going up more than they can afford for their one-income family.

The rental home was being advertised for $1,600 a month, and they made an appointment to do a walk-through.

Jones said they were told that the home was ready to be moved into.

In the area’s tight rental market – the vacancy rate was listed at just 0.2 per cent in November – the couple was excited to potentially find a great deal that suited their needs.

But their excitement quickly turned to horror.

“We came across minor mould in each room, a rotten deck and old tenant stuff everywhere. Rat poo (was) in the bedroom,” Jones said.

He said the landlord was not willing to make any repairs, and wanted the tenants to move out after a year, with no lease agreement.

Jones said another family from Langley also came to view the home, and told him that the landlord owns another house in Abbotsford which they had viewed and which was equally as bad.

Jones, who said he has reported the situation to the City of Abbotsford, is dismayed about the situation because the high cost of renting a suitable – and safe – home seems to be out of range for many families.

He’s worried that someone will eventually end up renting the home because they have nowhere else to go, and will end up getting sick from the mould.

“I am trying to stop these things from happening to others. It’s not fair. It’s just going to get worse if they (landlords) get away with it,” Jones said.

Section 32 of the Residential Tenancy Act of BC states that a landlord must keep their property in a “state of decoration and repair that complies with the health, safety and housing standards required by law,” we all as making it “suitable for occupation by a tenant.”

Health Canada says the potential risks of exposure to mould include allergic reactions, wheezing and shortness of breath, symptoms of asthma, and eye, nose and throat irritation.

“Breathing in large amounts of these spores and the by-products they produce and negatively impact your health,” the agency states.

 

This photo shows what is believed to be rat feces along the floor of one of the bedrooms.

Mould along the ceiling.

Just Posted

Man broke into home, frightened woman in bed, police say

Abbotsford Police looking for suspect

Crash closes Highway 1 near No. 3 Road

Both eastbound and westbound lanes affected

Semi-rollover closes traffic on Highway 1

Vehicle incident east of No. 3 road has shut down highway in both directions

Man accused of Abbotsford school stabbing hearing voices, intensely paranoid

Lawyer says Gabriel Klein not fit to stand trial in May because of deteriorating mental state

Buses would pick up West Coast Express riders if job action

If CP Rail workers strike, TransLink will bus commuters to Skytrain

VIDEO: Work is play for this B.C. avalanche rescue dog

CARDA certified Joss’s Job is to save lives — but to her, it’s all a game

Government has no solution for dangerous stretch of Highway 1

Columbia River-Revelstoke MLA Doug Clovechok met with the Ministry to talk about the dangers around Highway 1

B.C. couple caught in Kootenay Pass avalanche

Just after the ministry carried out avalanche control and opened the highway a Rossland couple was almost swept away by snow

Lance Armstrong settles $100M lawsuit with U.S. government

Disgraced cyclist reached $5-million settlement with sponsor U.S. Postal Service

2 B.C. men deemed heroes for saving man from fire

Fire on Coronation Avenue in Duncan sends one man to hospital

B.C. has highest C-section rate in Canada: report

Researcher says it’s not necessarily a bad thing

Whistler to open Canada’s first pod hotel

Pangea Pod Hotel to feature units big enough to fit a queen-sized mattress and not much else

Police investigating after Vancouver churchgoers locked inside during mass

Congregation at Standard Holiness Church found door secured from outside after hearing noises

Black Press Media acquires two new Alaska newspapers

New Media Investment Group to acquire the Akron (OH) Beacon Journal while Black Press Media takes on daily newspapers in Juneau and Kenai Alaska

Most Read