Pot of oil on stove causes kitchen fire

The blaze at the home on Homestead Crescent in Abbotsford was contained to the kitchen.

Pot of oil on stove causes kitchen fire



A pot of oil left temporarily unattended on the stove is being blamed for a kitchen fire that occurred Sunday night in Abbotsford.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called to the residence at 31397 Homestead Crescent just before 5 p.m.

When crews arrived, the house was full of smoke, and the fire had spread to the kitchen cabinets. Damage was contained to the kitchen, but the entire second floor suffered smoke damage.

Total fire loss was estimated at $50,000.

Assistant Fire Chief Dave Rivett said a female occupant did the right thing in how she handled the fire.

“At least the good thing was she didn’t try to fight the fire – put water on it or anything like that, which could have caused serious burns for her. She did leave the premises right away and evacuate all the people and call 911.”

Three fire engines and 13 firefighters attended the incident. Abbotsford Police and B.C Ambulance crews were also on the scene.

An unattended pot of oil left on the stove was also responsible for a fire that destroyed an Abbotsford apartment suite in December.