Police identify man killed in parking-lot confrontation in Grande Prairie

Nikko Steenhuisen of Abbotsford died on Saturday after chasing suspect who broke into his vehicle

An Abbotsford man killed when he chased after a suspect who had broken into his car in Grande Prairie, Alta. over the weekend has been identified by police as Nikkolas (Nikko) Steenhuisen, 34.

Grande Prairie RCMP also announced that they have arrested and charged 30-year-old Michael Ginter with one count of second-degree murder in relation to Steenhuisen’s death, as well as a charge of possession of property obtained by crime.

Steenhuisen, who had been working in Edmonton and visiting family in Grande Prairie, was leaving a Home Hardware store on Saturday just before 1 p.m. when he noticed a strange man sitting in his truck, according to police.

Steenhuisen confronted the man, who fled to another truck and attempted to drive away.

While trying to apprehend the suspect, Steenhuisen hopped onto the running board of the truck driven by the suspect when it collided with another parked vehicle, pinning him between the two vehicles.

The suspect drove away, leaving Steenhuisen severely injured in the parking lot.

Police and emergency services were called to the scene, where they found the victim, who was transported to QE2 hospital in Grande Prairie then airlifted to an Edmonton-area hospital.

Steenhuisen succumbed to his injuries before reaching Edmonton.

Police located a burned-out pickup truck in a rural area outside of the city later that day.

Members of the RCMP auto theft unit and forensic identification section examined the vehicle and determined it was the same stolen truck that was involved in the incident.

Ginter remains in custody and is scheduled to appear in Grande Prairie provincial court on Friday morning.

Steenhuisen, who was a boilermaker by trade, leaves behind a wife and three young daughters. He was a trainer with the Mission City Outlaws hockey team and a former trainer for the Abbotsford Pilots.

Watch Friday’s editions of the Abbotsford News and Mission City Record for more on this story.