Overloaded circuit suspected cause of Abbotsford house fire

An overloaded electrical circuit is the suspected cause of a house fire Sunday evening in Abbotsford.

Fire crews arrive on the scene of a house fire Sunday night on McCurdy Place in Abbotsford.

Fire crews arrive on the scene of a house fire Sunday night on McCurdy Place in Abbotsford.

An overloaded electrical circuit is the suspected cause of a house fire Sunday evening in Abbotsford.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) was called to 2735 McCurdy Place just before 7:30 p.m. Deputy Fire Chief Mike Helmer said heavy black smoke was coming from the eaves of the two-storey home when they arrived.

All seven occupants had escaped, and fire crews were able to prevent the blaze from spreading.

Helmer said fire damage was limited to a downstairs bedroom, with the rest of the house suffering heavy smoke damage. Total damage is estimated at $130,000.

A total of 34 firefighters and seven trucks from two firehalls battled the blaze.

Helmer reminds residents that extension cords are meant for temporary use only.

“Extended use … can allow abrasion and compression of the electrical cords. This can cause a breakdown … and allow the wires to short-circuit, providing an ignition source for nearby combustible materials,” he said.