Man severely burned

Victim dumped gasoline on bonfire

 

A man was severely burned after dumping gas on a bonfire on Monday.

Ambulance personnel treated the injured man and transported him to Abbotsford Regional Hospital.

The man had suffered serious burns to his face while dumping gasoline onto a smouldering fire.

The Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service reminds citizens of the dangers associated with the use of flammable liquids such as gasoline. Each year, many deaths and injuries requiring hospitalization are attributed to the misuse and improper storage of gasoline.

The greatest risk factor from gasoline storage is not from the liquid itself but from the vapours it produces.  These are three to four times heavier than the surrounding air, meaning the fumes from gasoline hang lower, spreading easily to nearby sources of ignition, such as cigarettes, pilot lights on household appliances, and sparks from appliance motors or power switches.

Flammable liquids such as gasoline should never be used as a cleaning solvent, a weed killer or for starting a fire, advises the fire rescue service.