A 28-year-old man has died after a fire that occurred Nov. 23 in a portable washroom in the parking lot of the Khalsa Diwan Temple in Abbotsford. (Google Street View)

A 28-year-old man has died after a fire that occurred Nov. 23 in a portable washroom in the parking lot of the Khalsa Diwan Temple in Abbotsford. (Google Street View)

Man, 28, dies in hospital following portable-washroom fire in Abbotsford

Police investigating incident that occurred Nov. 23 outside Khalsa Diwan Temple

A 28-year-old man has died in hospital following a fire that occurred in a portable washroom in Abbotsford on Tuesday (Nov. 23).

A press release from the Abbotsford Police Department (APD) indicates that the fire took place just before 8:30 p.m. in the southeast corner of the parking lot of the Khalsa Diwan Temple at 33094 South Fraser Way.

When fire and police crews arrived on scene, a portable washroom was fully engulfed in flames and a man suffering from severe burns was found nearby.

ALSO READ: Abbotsford man found dead inside fire-damaged trailer

The man has since died in hospital, the release states.

The APD’s major crime unit is investigating to determine if the fire was accidental or intentional.

Anyone who might have witnessed the man is asked to call police. He was wearing a lime-green winter jacket with grey sleeves, a red hoodie underneath, dark pants and white running shoes.

Investigators are also asking for anyone to contact them who has dashcam or CCTV footage from the area of the Khalsa Diwan Temple between 6 and 9 p.m. on Nov. 23. They should call the APD at 604-859-5225.

RELATED: Abbotsford man found dead inside fire-damaged trailer



vhopes@abbynews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Fatal Fire

Use Promo Code 3JAN

Try Our All Access Premium - Digital Subscription For $1.00 A Month For The First Three Months

1.24¢/wk

Premium

What you'll enjoy!

  • Unlimited Digital Stories
  • Crosswords And Puzzles
  • One Bonus Subscription
  • News Alerts