From new stoplights to new roads and interchanges, the city’s provisional budget gives an important glimpse at the municipality’s transportation priorities for the coming years.
That draft budget – which has yet to be finalized and approved by council – was released earlier this month. The News has already written multiple stories stemming from discussions over the budget, but here are some transportation items that may have gone under the radar, but may affect day-to-day life for thousands of Abbotsford residents.
Some, but not all, of the projects listed below will be paid for with money collected through development cost charges levied against developers.
• DeLair and Old Yale traffic signal: $300,000; Marshall and McMillan new signal: $250,000; Mckee Road and McKinley Drive new signals: $150,000
• Old Yale Road and Marshall Road traffic signal: $25,000 in 2019, $275,000 in 2020; Blueridge at Bluejay new traffic signal: $400,000; Montvue at West Railway intersection: $400,000; South Fraser Way at Countess new signal: $150,000
• Old Clayburn at McMillan new signal: $307,000; George Ferguson at Babich upgraded signal: $153,000
• Upper Maclure at Townline new signal: $321,000
Other road/transportation improvements
• Additional funding for traffic counts and safety initiatives: $100,000; Greenhouse gas projects: $150,000
• Gladys Avenue reconstruction: $750,000; Clayburn Village traffic study: $50,000; annual crosswalk upgrade program: $30,000
• Marshall Road (McMillan to Old Yale) road widening: $3.7 million
Major long-term projects (budgeted numbers and dates are likely to be rough estimates)
• George Ferguson Way (Gladys to Beck) road widening: $4.3 million; Whatcom Road interchange improvements: $7.1 million
• South Fraser Way complete streets concept: $20.8 million
• Peardonville Overpass new overpass: $15.7 million; Clearbrook Road (Old Yale to Maclure) road widening: $3.7 million
• McKee Road extension (McMillan to Beck): $16 million; Essendene Avenue (South Fraser Way to West Railway) road re-allocation: $1.7 million; Mt. Lehman Road (Heritage to Downes) road widening: $2.2 million; Maclure Road (Park Lane to Elmwood) new road construction: $642,000
• Old Yale Road (Eagle Mountain to Cameron) road widening: $4 million-plus
Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email: