Mission Fire Rescue was on scene at an apartment fire on Second Avenue in Mission on Tuesday afternoon. / Kevin Mills Photos

Mission Fire Rescue was on scene at an apartment fire on Second Avenue in Mission on Tuesday afternoon. / Kevin Mills Photos

Firefighters extinguish blaze at Mission Manor

Crews on scene Tuesday afternoon after an apartment caught fire after a pot was left on the stove

Mission Fire Rescue Services responded to an alarm at a downtown apartment building on Tuesday (April 9) afternoon.

The fire started just after 4 p.m. in a fourth floor apartment at Mission Manor, located at 33165 Second Ave.

The first crew to arrive on scene discovered smoke coming from the suite.

“At that time we activated a full alarm assignment for all three stations,” explained Mission fire chief Dale Unrau.

Originally, the fire was believed to be inside the walls of the apartment, but the real cause was soon discovered.

“There was an unattended pot on the stove that caught into the kitchen cupboards,” said Unrau.

The fire was contained to the inside of the cabinet as the sprinkler system held it in check.

Unrau said firefighters had to extinguish few hot spots embedded in the cabinetry, but after that the situation was under control.

There were no injuries to report.

“We are just dealing with water flow from the fire sprinkler.”

Crews are working quickly to try and protect the third floor apartments from any water damage.

The fourth floor was evacuated for a short time.

 

Firefighters extinguish blaze at Mission Manor