Abbotsford Fire Rescue personnel attended this home on Downes Road Sunday morning.

Fire destroys 86-year-old Abbotsford home

Resident, 88, had lived since he was two years old in the Downes Road home built by his family.



A chimney fire in Abbotsford on Sunday morning destroyed a home that an 88-year-old man had lived in since he was two years old.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called to the blaze on Downes Road, near Ross Road, at about 10:15 a.m. When crews arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the attic.

Assistance Fire Chief Jeff Adams said the fire began in the basement and spread up through the chimney.

“The home is heavily damaged, and not sure if it’s going to be repairable or not … It’s too early to tell, but it doesn’t look good,” he said.

The homeowners did not have insurance, he added.

Emergency services is helping the family find alternate accommodation and will assist them in determining their next steps, Adams said.

No further details were available at this time.

 

 

 

 

Just Posted

Abbotsford Angels 13U AA win provincial title

Baseball team now heads to Manitoba for Western Canadian Championships

Blue Angels help drive attendance increase at Abbotsford Airshow

Around 90,000 people attended this year’s event; officials to re-evaluate traffic plans for next year

Mayor calls favouritism allegations by Coun. Moe Gill ‘an absolute fabrication’

Gill has been silent since claiming Henry Braun’s friends had unique access to Abbotsford city hall

Sumas Mountain Regional Park closed; air quality warning issued

Dry conditions prompt closure of park, as smoke rolls in across the Lower Mainland.

Wildfire smoke brings in air quality advisory for Lower Mainland

People with health conditions are urged to avoid the outdoors

VIDEO: Abbotsford International Airshow Sunday

Highlights from day three of the 2018 event

Night patrol on Chilliwack waters leads DFO to seize 48 sockeye and harbour seal from poachers

Charges pending after two poachers arrested for salmon fishing at night

Vancouver 6th most liveable city in the world: report

West coast city narrowly beats Toronto, but is bested by Calgary

Plaque that replaced Macdonald statue at Victoria city hall vandalized

Less than 24 hours after plaque was installed, an ‘X’ had been scratched through the centre

UPDATED: Cars plunge in Italian highway bridge collapse; 25 killed

Five more people are injured and in serious condition

VIDEO: Number of abandoned dogs rising because of California wildfires

‘A lot of people have had to … literally dump their dogs’ Langley adoptathon organizer says

5 to start your day

Quidditch comes to Surrey, a drug-testing pilot in Chilliwack and more

Mt. Hicks wildfire partially closes Hwy. 7

150-hectare blaze prompted closure of a provincial park

Court hearing on Humboldt Broncos fundraising to test Saskatchewan law

The money has yet to be distributed because Saskatchewan has legislation known as the Informal Public Appeals Act

Most Read