Fire damages home on New Year’s Day

House fire on McCallum Road caused by electrical panel and meter which had been tampered with

A fire broke out early on New Year's morning in a home on McCallum Road.

A fire broke out early on New Year's morning in a home on McCallum Road.



An electrical panel and meter that had been tampered with caused a fire in a home on McCallum Road on New Year’s Day, according to Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service.

Fire crews responded at about 5:30 a.m. to the home in the 2700 block of McCallum Road. When crews arrived, they found a fire inside the wall of the home and quickly brought it under control.

The power to the home was cut to remove the hazard. The scene was turned over to the Abbotsford Police Department for further investigation.