Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service responded to 532 calls during the holiday season.
Chief Don Beer said six of the calls were residential fires, and all were preventable. The causes of the blazes included unattended cooking, electrical shorts and a malfunctioning furnace.
“Our homes can be kept safe by eliminating fire hazards, ensuring that working smoke alarms are installed, and by having a plan for what to do in the event of an emergency,” Beer said.
Also over the holiday season, fire crews attended numerous other incidents such as medical, fire alarms, burning complaints, car crashes, vehicle fires and downed power lines.