UPDATE: Fire in tent near Salvation Army in Abbotsford was accidental, police say

UPDATE: Fire in tent near Salvation Army in Abbotsford was accidental, police say

Flames erupt in area frequented by homeless

A fire broke out this morning in an area frequented by homeless men and women on Gladys Avenue, across from the Salvation Army.

Flames erupted around 11 a.m. beside the road.

While early reports suggested a driver may have thrown something at a tent, igniting it, Abbotsford Police Sgt. Judy Bird said that wasn’t the case.

Instead, the fire was accidentally ignited by a person near a tent, Bird said.

No injuries were reported.

 

A fire broke out this morning in an area frequented by homeless men and women on Gladys Avenue, across from the Salvation Army. Daryl Rose photo                                A fire broke out this morning in an area frequented by homeless men and women on Gladys Avenue, across from the Salvation Army. Daryl Rose photo

A fire broke out this morning in an area frequented by homeless men and women on Gladys Avenue, across from the Salvation Army. Daryl Rose photo A fire broke out this morning in an area frequented by homeless men and women on Gladys Avenue, across from the Salvation Army. Daryl Rose photo