Just before 6 a.m. this morning (Tuesday), the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called to a report of a fully involved fire in a shop that housed a legal medical marijuana grow-op in the 28000 block of Townshipline Road in west Abbotsford.
When crews arrived, they found that the fire did not involve the shop but the power plant for the grow-op. That unit was about 60 feet away from the shop and did not endanger the building that housed the grow.
Although the flames were knocked down quickly, according to Assistant Fire Chief David Rivett, the power plant and its shed were destroyed.
A total of five fire vehicles and 20 firefighters responded to the incident.
“This type of fire can be dangerous for firefighters to control, due to the electrocution hazard. Fortunately, BC Hydro was on scene in a timely manner and confirmed that the power was out,” Rivett said.
The fire department did not enter the shop that contained the grow as that building was not affected. Crews remained on scene Tuesday, and the fire and police departments are investigating.