Family of five taken to hospital after Abbotsford house fire

A fire at a rural Abbotsford home sent five people to hospital late Friday night.



A fire at a rural Abbotsford home sent five people to hospital late Friday night.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called to the home at 140 Mt. Lehman Road at about 11 p.m. When crews arrived, they found the kitchen on fire and smoke coming from the eaves.

Deputy Fire Chief Mike Helmer said the fire started from an unattended pot left on the stove which ignited nearby combustible materials and spread through the range food vent into the attic space.

He said the adult occupants of the home had fallen asleep and were awakened by smoke coming from the kitchen. The man suffered smoke inhalation and cuts to his hand after he broke a window and attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose.

He was taken to hospital, as were his wife and three children – ages nine months and five and six years old – as a precaution.

Helmer said 24 firefighters and six trucks from four fire halls fought the fire and were able to contain it after about 10 minutes. Damage to the home is estimated at $50,000.

He said the family was fortunate to escape the fire, as there were no smoke alarms within the home.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

More details emerge on mental health incident in Abbotsford on Sunday

APD officers assist mental health team for three hours yesterday, man sent to hospital with injury

Heritage Abbotsford seeks stories on places of ‘cultural significance’

Locations can include spiritual sites, family homes, landmarks and more

VIDEO: Abbotsford Agrifair’s Drive-Thru Safari debuts

Event draws well as families look for entertainment in COVID-19 era

Abbotsford Police respond to incident on Edgeview Place

Cul-de-sac closed for several hours after mental health situation with young man on Sunday

Fraser Valley Bandits clinch playoff spot with win

Bandits down Niagara River Lions 70-57 on Sunday, improve to 3-2

VIDEO: Otter pups learn to swim at B.C. wildlife rescue facility

Watch Critter Care’s Nathan Wagstaffe help seven young otters go for their first dip

Wildfire breaks out near Harrison Hot Springs

1.5 hectare fire is reportedly human caused

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

U.S. border communities feel loss of Canadian tourists, shoppers and friends

Restrictions on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border have been in place since March 2`

Rollout of COVID-19 Alert app faces criticism over accessibility

App requires users to have Apple or Android phones made in the last five years, and a relatively new operating system

Alleged impaired driver sparks small wildfire near Lytton after crash: B.C. RCMP

Good Samaritans prevented the blaze from getting out of control

B.C. First Nation adopts ‘digital twinning’ software to better manage territory

Software allows users to visualize what a mountain might look like if the trees on its slopes were logged

Most Read