A door is boarded up following a fire at Pho Xuan restaurant on Yale Road on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)

A door is boarded up following a fire at Pho Xuan restaurant on Yale Road on Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)

UPDATE: Early morning fire at vacant Chilliwack restaurant was deliberately set

Fire erupted north of the Yale Road overpass at Pho Xuan, which was permanently closed

Chilliwack RCMP and Chilliwack Fire Department are investigating an early-morning fire in a vacant Chilliwack restaurant.

The fire that broke out around 5:30 a.m. at the Pho Xuan restaurant on Yale Road was deliberately set, said fire department officials.

Thirty-five firefighters from Chilliwack firehalls 1, 4, 5 and 6 responded to the fire, arriving to find smoke coming out of the building’s roof flashing.

Firefighters determined the fire was located in the wall and quickly extinguished it, but there is significant smoke damage, and some fire and water damage to the structure.

There were no firefighter injuries.

Part of Yale Road was closed north of the overpass as firefighters battled the blaze, but has since re-opened.

Anyone who has information about the fire is asked to call the RCMP at 604-792-4611 or phone Crimestoppers, anonymously, at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Tips can also be submitted online at upperfraservalleycrimestoppers.ca

READ MORE: Smoke alarms worked for this incident

Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email:
jfeinberg@theprogress.com


@CHWKjourno
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.

firerestaurant