Fire crews responded to a grass fire at in a backyard on Sunday.

Fire crews responded to a grass fire at in a backyard on Sunday.

Crews put out fire at townhouse complex in Abbotsford

The grass in the unit's backyard was burning



Just after 2 p.m. on Sunday, Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service responded to a fire in a backyard in Clearbrook Village off of Maclure Road.

Deputy fire chief Jeff Adams said crews responded to a fire in backyard of a residence, which had started near the house and had been blown through the yard. The flames were starting to burn the siding of the home.

“It could have definitely taken out the unit,” he said, adding that it also could have spread through the townhouse complex.

A neighbour was using a garden hose to fight the fire when crews arrived.

Adams said it is extremely dry and with the current winds, it doesn’t take long for fire to spread.  He advised people to be careful when putting out cigarettes so they don’t lead to fires.