Patrons at Matsqui Recreation Centre in Abbotsford had to evacuate the building Wednesday afternoon after a chemical incident.
Assistant Fire Chief Dave Rivett said Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) was called to the centre, located at 3106 Clearbrook Rd., at about 1:30 p.m.
The incident began after fecal matter was reported in the pool, which was cleared of all swimmers so that staff could sanitize it. Many of these people moved to the swirl pool.
Rivett said a worker then mixed together some chemicals that were not compatible, and suffered minor burns to one of his hands. He moved the bucket outside, and AFRS was called to deal with the chemical reaction and any potential hazardous fumes.
About 60 people were cleared from the building. AFRS crews waited for the chemicals to stop reacting and then ensured that air quality was safe.
The pool was expected to re-open at about 5 p.m.