Crews on the scene of a fire in a townhouse complex on Vedder Road Sept. 25. (Paul Henderson/ The Progress)

UPDATE: Unattended cooking oil caused townhouse fire in Vedder Crossing

Chilliwack firefighters from four halls attended blaze Monday evening

Unattended cooking oil was the cause of a major fire in a townhouse complex in Vedder Crossing Monday evening.

It was at approximately 8 p.m. when the Chilliwack Fire Department was dispatched to the report of a structure fire in the complex in the 5600-block of Vedder Road next to the Home Hardware parking lot.

Neighbours had reported black smoke and fire venting from the roof of the townhouse.

At least nine trucks from halls 1, 3, 4 and 6 responded and, upon arrival, the townhouse was fully involved.

Occupants were home at the time of the fire and quickly evacuated. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

The unit where the fire originated suffered major fire and smoke damage to interior and the exterior, according to Chilliwack Fire Department.

Vedder Road was blocked in both directions for most of the evening for a stretch south of Thomas Road and north of Keith Wilson Road.


@PeeJayAitch
paul.henderson@theprogress.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

 

(Darren McDonald/Submitted)

(Darren McDonald/Submitted)

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in you inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up