Abbotsford School District Superintendent Kevin Godden hears questions and comments from Abbotsford Traditional Secondary School parent Carelle McKellan at a public information session on seismic upgrades and further necessary maintenance work for the school in March.                                Dustin Godfrey/Abbotsford News file photo

Abbotsford School District Superintendent Kevin Godden hears questions and comments from Abbotsford Traditional Secondary School parent Carelle McKellan at a public information session on seismic upgrades and further necessary maintenance work for the school in March. Dustin Godfrey/Abbotsford News file photo

Abby Schools

Abbotsford School District has enough portables to house ATSS students

Spokesperson says there are more considerations before committing free portables to traditional school

Out of 113 portables owned by the Abbotsford School District, six are currently not in use, the same number that would be required to avoid displacing any students or staff from Abbotsford Traditional Secondary School during seismic work.

The school district expects to gain provincial funding for the seismic work, but because of the availability of space at Rick Hansen Secondary School, the Ministry of Education will not fund portables to avoid displacing students during the work.

ASD spokesperson Kayla Stuckart confirmed with The News this week that the district currently has six portables not in use, but she said that doesn’t mean all portables will necessarily be used for ATSS during seismic work.

RELATED: Options presented for Abbotsford students displaced by seismic upgrades

RELATED: ‘Fighting and war’: Abbotsford students, parents oppose temporary relocation

“There are a number of factors that we need to look at and review for the district as a whole – for example, expected enrollment growth and capacity pressures at some of our schools,” Stuckart said in an email.

“While six portables may be available, two of them are from 1990 construction and require some upgrades. Using available portables is an option that we will consider as we review the requirements for the ATSS seismic project.”

ATSS parent Carelle McKellan, who brought potential unused portables within the district to the attention of The News last month, said it is “good news” that the school district is looking into its own stock of portables for potential solutions.

She said research by a group of advocate parents from ATSS found that moving each portable would run about $25,000 – about one-ninth of the school district’s $225,000 estimate for each new portable.

The group of parents, who presented at last month’s school board meeting, will be presenting to school board again next Tuesday to relay their findings, McKellan said.

However, parents and students have been vehemently opposed to displacing students to Rick Hansen Secondary. They cite concerns that this could trigger a decline in ATSS attendance and ultimately result in the closure of the school, as well as potential conflicts between ATSS and RHSS students.

The school district has offered several options, which include the use of six portables to keep all ATSS students and staff on site, also utilizing unoccupied space at the adjoining Abbotsford Traditional Middle School.

Other options include sending certain grades to their catchment schools instead of traditional schools; offering some courses at RHSS and other courses at the traditional campus, requiring fewer portables; and amalgamating ATSS and ATMS, including administration and counselling, freeing up redundant space occupied by staff, requiring three portables.

RELATED: Abbotsford School District surplus could drop to 1/3 of target range

At $225,000 apiece, six new portables would add up to around $1.35 million, adding more costs to the district, which is currently facing a draining accumulated surplus.

The project is expected to run 18 months, and the school district is seeking more funding elsewhere to conduct further necessary maintenance work on the building, including the building envelope, concurrently with the seismic work.

That maintenance work is expected to run $5 million to $8 million, while the seismic work is pegged at nearly $18 million.

Find more of our coverage on the Abbotsford School District here.

Report an error or send us your tips, photos and video.

Dustin Godfrey | Reporter

@dustinrgodfrey

Send Dustin an email.
Like the Abbotsford News on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter.

Abby Schools

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

A heavy police presence was on scene on Dec. 28, 2017 following the shooting death on Bates Road in Abbotsford of Alexander Blanarou, 24, of Surrey. (Abbotsford News file photo)
Three men charged with Abbotsford shooting death of Surrey man

Alexander Blanarou, 24, was killed in a rural area on Dec. 28, 2017

Photo by Dale Klippenstein
Hit-and-run driver knocks pedestrian into ditch in Abbotsford

Woman was walking in area of Harris Road and Riverside Street on Monday

Tabor Home in Abbotsford. (Ben Lypka/Abbotsford News)
B.C.’s largest COVID-19 care-home outbreak records 19 deaths, 147 cases

Tabor Home in Abbotsford has been battling outbreak since Nov. 4

Abbotsford residents gather in the Clearbrook area on Monday to demonstrate against what they say is unfairt treatment by the Indian government to farmers in the Punjab region of that country. (Maan Sidhu photo)
Abbotsford residents gather to protest unfair treatment of India farmers

Locals believe new bills will devastate small farms, demand farmers be allowed to protest peacefully

Menno Place. (Google Street View image.)
32 family members respond to Abbotsford care home’s plea for staffing help during COVID-19 outbreak

Menno Home asks for relief workers for food service, laundry and housekeeping

A tongue-in-cheek message about wearing a face mask to curb the spread of COVID-19 on a sign outside a church near Royal Columbia Hospital, in New Westminster, B.C., on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C.’s COVID-19 infection count climbs back up to 656

20 more people in hospital, active cases still rising

Mirandy Tracy, left, and Tara Kurtz are two Langley mothers who are organizing a "sick out" for Tuesday, Dec. 1 to protest COVID conditions in schools. They're calling for masks and smaller class sizes, among other things. (Matthew Claxton/Langley Advance Times)
Politician, labour leader throw support behind student Sick Out day

Langley parents started the movement to keep kids home on Dec. 1 as a protest

A family emerged with a purchase at the Tannenbaum Tree Farm at 5398 252 St in Aldergrove on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020 (Dan Ferguson/Langley Advance Times)
Christmas tree season is off to an early start

People are ‘bored’ with staying home due to COVID-19 and want to decorate early, farm owner believes

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
B.C. researchers launch study to test kids, young adults for COVID-19 antibodies

Kids and youth can often be asymptomatic carriers of the novel coronavirus

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

A convoy of seven pickup trucks, six of which were hauling boats, makes its way around the Chilliwack Law Courts on Dec. 1, 2020. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)
First court date for Fraser River anglers ticketed during demonstration fishery

Convoy of trucks circled the courthouse in downtown Chilliwack Tuesday honking their support

A sign is seen this past summer outside the Yunesit’in Government office west of Williams Lake reminding visitors and members to stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic. (Rebecca Dyok photo)
B.C. First Nation leaders await privacy commissioner decision on COVID-19 information

Release of life-saving data cannot wait, says coalition of First Nations

Most Read