The COVID-19 outbreak was initially announced by Fraser Health on Oct. 6. Kevin Mills photo.

The COVID-19 outbreak was initially announced by Fraser Health on Oct. 6. Kevin Mills photo.

2 deaths, 39 infected from outbreak at Mission Memorial Hospital

Outbreak was first declared on Oct. 6 after 6 patients tested positive

The ongoing outbreak at Mission Memorial Hospital has infected 39 people, and two deaths have been recorded.

Since the outbreak was declared on Oct. 6, a total of 31 patients and eight staff have contracted COVID-19, said a Fraser Health media spokesperson by email.

“Our condolences go out to those who have lost loved ones,” the spokesperson said.

The outbreak was first announced after six patients had tested positive on the same medicine unit. Fraser Health said at the time the outbreak was limited to the one unit, which had been temporarily closed to admissions.

Visitors are still allowed entry, with the exception of restricted areas associated with the outbreak, the spokesperson said.

The Record has asked which areas of the hospital are currently restricted, and how many units the outbreak has spread to, but Fraser Health has yet to respond.

All visitors are required to show proof of vaccination unless they have an approved medical exemption, Fraser Health’s spokesperson said, and a patient is limited to two visitors at once.

Exceptions may be made, in consultation with the care team, for compassionate care visits.

This is the third outbreak at Mission Memorial Hospital since the pandemic began.

RELATED: COVID outbreak declared at Mission Memorial Hospital


@portmoodypigeon
patrick.penner@missioncityrecord.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

CoronavirusMission