As spring approaches, it brings with it plenty of changes. Longer days welcome more light and dull colours turn bright. With a sense of new beginnings these transformations bring – especially this year! – why not bring that feeling indoors?
“When your budget might not allow for spring renovations, accessories are a great alternative for freshening up your space,” explains Liam Horner, from Valley Direct Furniture. “By making a couple of small changes and swapping out certain pieces, it can have a surprisingly big impact.”
If you’re keen to welcome the warm weather, here are five home decor tips to transform your space with accessories!
- Curtains: Replacing dark curtains with bright ones helps bring the lightness of spring indoors. You can also try playing with textures – a lightweight sheer material, for example, will let in light and brighten up the area better than heavy winter drapes.
- Textiles: Investing in new textiles is a quick and easy way to transform your space. Try replacing your throw pillows with new ones in various sizes, colours and textures! Swapping out your favourite winter blankets for lighter ones is another great alternative. The throw blanket you use for cosying up to a roaring winter fire probably isn’t the one you want for spring. Try a lightweight material in paler colours, instead of heavy winter ones.
- Lamps: Lamps bring light to any space – literally! Whether it’s a table lamp on your dresser or a new floor lamp beside your couch, adding accent lighting to your home will brighten those corners and add a warm glow.
- Mirrors: Mirrors are another way to create more light and a greater feeling of spaciousness in your home. In particular, by placing your mirror opposite your window, you’ll increase the amount of natural light in the room by capturing and reflecting any available daylight (even with cloudy skies).
- Spring scents: And if spring showers mean it’s not quite time to head outdoors, try bringing the outdoors in by adding new candles with scents that reflect the changing season! Just be sure to place candles on a stable surface, away from windows and combustible materials, and never leave them unattended.
Spring is often the season of renovations, but when the budget or schedule doesn’t allow for it, redecorating is a quick, easy and inexpensive way to transform your home.